Well okay, Maybe!
While jeans have become very stylish and dressy, it is often asked: can you wear jeans as business casual? And the answers is: it depends! The etiquette and proper answer is that there is not a real definition of "business casual." And, if an event calls for business casual, it never calls for jeans to be worn in the given setting. However, Americans often choose to go against the grain for one reason or another so it is important to be aware of what to do in this situation.
To answer this question further I will offer a few things to consider and scenarios that could call for business casual attire. By considering these things when dressing business casual will allow you to always be appropriately dressed.
- Know your industry. If you're in an industry that calls for you to wear a suit & tie more often than not, jeans are a No.
- If jeans are apart of your profession such as denim design or fabric manufacturing, jeans may be Okay.
- If the business casual event is held in an office or meeting space, jeans are a No.
- If the business casual event is held in lounge or bar, jeans may be Okay.
- If the business casual event is held in hotel lobby or space, jeans are a No.
- If the business casual event is at a someone's home, jeans may be Okay.
- If your business casual event is held in a golf club house or private club jeans are a No.
- If the person your are attending with or who invited you is not wearing jeans, then No.
- If you choose to wear jeans as business casual, always wear dark jeans with little or no washes. Darker than traditional blue jeans would be considered dark denim.
- If you do choose to wear jeans as business casual, also wear a blazer and dress shoes so not to be considered casual.
The next time you or someone you know considers wearing jeans as business casual, consider the 10 tips above first and choose accordingly. Appropriate attire is much more valuable than stylish attire.